The Council of Rivers United Church is delighted to announce that Sheila Deforest has been appointed as a Student Minister at Rivers United, beginning on September 1, 2022.
Sheila comes to us from Saskatchewan. In 2018, she began studying to be a Licensed Lay Worship Leader. It was during this training that she first discerned her call to ordained ministry. She has completed two years of study at St. Andrew’s College in Saskatoon. While she is in a halftime placement with us, she will complete five Learning Circles before graduating with a Master of Divinity in the spring of 2024.
Rivers United has been designated as a Supervised Ministry Education Site. This is a new experience for us. A Lay Supervision Team has been formed, and it will work closely with Sheila during the two years she is with us. Sheila is a student, not a trained minister. She will bring us her gifts and talents, and we will give her support and encouragement. We will learn along with her. It is an exciting time for all of us!
- At this time of year, Rivers Elementary School can make use of donations of winter outwear (gently used jackets, ski pants, toques, mittens or gloves). This can be taken to the school or left at the church.
- Sheila Deforest can be reached at the church (328-7940) or on her cell phone at 306-873-9947.
- Church services resume on Jan 8. There will be no choir practices in the month of January, but the choir will continue to lead the music at Sunday worship. Choir practice will resume on Feb 2.
- Reverend Barb Jardine, Minister at Forrest and Brookdale United Churches, is a great help to us as our Pastoral Charge Supervisor appointed by the Prairie to Pine Region.
- We are excited to once again host a Christmas Eve service. The traditional carol sing will begin at 7 pm, with the service to follow at 7:30. All are welcome!
- Sheila will be on holidays from December 25 to January 8 inclusive.
- Sheila will be away on Study Leave from Feb 8-16.
- The Annual Meeting will be held on March 5, a month later than usual. The meeting will follow a potluck lunch, which will follow the regular Sunday service.
Suzan Ramsey is our compassionate care contact. If you know of someone who needs a get well or thinking of you wish, please call her at 204-328-7536 or email@example.com.
Have an announcement? Call Donna @ 729-7203
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org