The Council of Rivers United Church is delighted to announce that Sheila Deforest has been appointed as a Student Minister at Rivers United, beginning on September 1, 2022.
Sheila comes to us from Saskatchewan. In 2018, she began studying to be a Licensed Lay Worship Leader. It was during this training that she first discerned her call to ordained ministry. She has completed two years of study at St. Andrew’s College in Saskatoon. While she is in a halftime placement with us, she will complete five Learning Circles before graduating with a Master of Divinity in the spring of 2024.
Rivers United has been designated as a Supervised Ministry Education Site. This is a new experience for us. A Lay Supervision Team has been formed, and it will work closely with Sheila during the two years she is with us. Sheila is a student, not a trained minister. She will bring us her gifts and talents, and we will give her support and encouragement. We will learn along with her. It is an exciting time for all of us!
- Rivers Kids Club has asked if they might utilize the greenspace on the south side of the church building. Council said “Sure!” The Kids Club will be erecting some removeable fencing so that the nursery school children may safely play and learn outside. What a wonderful idea!
- At the June meeting, the RUC council will be learning about and voting on a national church remit. Remit 1: Establishing an Autonomous National Indigenous Organization was authorized by General Council to determine if the United Church is in favour of a two-part church structure in which an Indigenous council is autonomous and Indigenous and non-Indigenous councils work side-by-side. If accepted, this remit would remove all structural barriers to developing and sustaining an autonomous Indigenous church within the United Church of Canada. This is serious business, part of the work to reconcile with the Indigenous people of Canada.
- June 11 is Sundae Sunday! This ice cream extravaganza will be hosted by the Outreach Committee. June 11 is also a Sunday school day. We look forward welcoming the children for worship, learning, and ice cream! (The young-at-heart will enjoy the treats also!)
- Sheila Deforest can be reached at the church (328-7940) or on her cell phone at 306-873-9947.
- Reverend Barb Jardine, Minister at Forrest and Brookdale United Churches, is a great help to us as our Pastoral Charge Supervisor appointed by the Prairie to Pine Region.
- Sheila will be on holidays from May 19 - May 23 inclusive and June 17 - 22 inclusive
- Sheila and Dianne Kowalchuk will be attending the Prairie to Pine Regional Meeting in Winnipeg from June 1 - 4.
- Sheila will be away on Study Leave from June 5 - 9.
- There will be no regular Sunday worship services in July and August. Services will resume on September 10.
- We are very excited to announce that we RUC will be hosting the Westman Youth Choir at the worship service on October 15. The music will echo in the rafters!!
- October 15 is also the day for our Fall Supper. It will be a take-out supper. $20 per plate.
Suzan Ramsey is our compassionate care contact. If you know of someone who needs a get well or thinking of you wish, please call her at 204-328-7536 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have an announcement? Call Donna @ 729-7203
Or email: email@example.com