The Council of Rivers United Church is delighted to announce that Sheila Deforest has been appointed as a Student Minister at Rivers United, beginning on September 1, 2022.
Sheila comes to us from Saskatchewan. In 2018, she began studying to be a Licensed Lay Worship Leader. It was during this training that she first discerned her call to ordained ministry. She has completed two years of study at St. Andrew’s College in Saskatoon. While she is in a halftime placement with us, she will complete five Learning Circles before graduating with a Master of Divinity in the spring of 2024.
Rivers United has been designated as a Supervised Ministry Education Site. This is a new experience for us. A Lay Supervision Team has been formed, and it will work closely with Sheila during the two years she is with us. Sheila is a student, not a trained minister. She will bring us her gifts and talents, and we will give her support and encouragement. We will learn along with her. It is an exciting time for all of us!
- AA meetings are being held in the basement of Rivers United Church on Wednesdays at 7 pm.
- A quilt will soon be hanging on the south wall in Friendship Hall. This quilt was made by the congregation of Rivers United Church to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the United Church in 1940. The quilt became the property of Rev. Wallace and Mabel Donogh when they left this church in 1944. Through some quirky circumstances, the quilt has returned home. It contains the names of all those who were members of this congregation in 1940. It is a real gem! For a more detailed description of the quilt, please go to the About Us page of this website.
- Since we cut the trees down last fall, it has been evident that the sanctuary windows are in poor shape. At the June council meeting, it was decided that these windows need to be repaired. Four of the windows are made of stained-glass and were dedicated in memory of past members of our church family. These four windows will be removed, transported to Winnipeg, repaired, and returned to their former glory. We are very excited about this project. It is important that we take care of this building; it is also important that we recognize and treasure our great history. The only downside is that our windows will be covered with plywood for up to three months. For a more detailed description of the windows, please go to the About Us page of this website.
- Sheila Deforest can be reached at the church (328-7940) or on her cell phone at 306-873-9947.
- Reverend Barb Jardine, Minister at Forrest and Brookdale United Churches, is a great help to us as our Pastoral Charge Supervisor appointed by the Prairie to Pine Region.
Suzan Ramsey is our compassionate care contact. If you know of someone who needs a get well or thinking of you wish, please call her at 204-328-7536 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have an announcement? Call Donna @ 729-7203
Or email: email@example.com